Renewable building blocks, natural polymers, biopolymers and their composites
- Raw materials based on natural resources (triglycerides, lignin, flavonoids, etc.), their application for the synthesis of biopolymers.
- Natural polymers and their derivatives (polysaccharides, cellulose, proteins, etc.); modification, functionalization and plasticization.
- Microbial production of biopolymers, bio-based and biodegradable polymers (polyesters, polyhydroxyalkanoates, polyamides, polyolefins, etc.) as well as their blends.
- Novel synthetic routes, macromolecular engineering, controlled polymerization for synthesis of sequence-specific polymers, functional modification of polymers.
Biopolymers for life science and health care
- Smart and functional polymers, stimuli-responsive hydrogels, self-healing and shape memory of polymers and hydrogels.
- Surfaces and interfaces, colloidal systems: thin films, polymer brushes and membranes; self-assembly, nanoparticles; nanomedicine.
- Controlled drug and gene delivery; bioadhesive formulations; injectable soft materials, implants.
- Bio-mimetic and bio-inspired systems; enzyme immobilization; scaffold fabrication, cell-scaffold interactions, tissue engineering.
Processing, application and composites
- Development and optimization of processing technologies for biopolymers.
- Electrospinning, additive manufacturing, digital design of biopolymers, 3D printing, rapid prototyping.
- Natural fiber reinforcement and (nano)composites with biopolymer matrices; hybrid nanomaterials, surface modification, coupling, deformation and failure mechanisms.
- Market of biopolymers, application in packaging, cosmetics, agriculture, automotive industry, electronics, optics, energy, sensors and actuators, waste water treatment, superabsorbents, wound dressings, etc.
Environmental aspects, sustainability, green polymers and composites
- Biorefineries, biomass conversion, sustainable production of monomers and polymers from wastes and side streams.
- Degradation, biodegradation, biodeterioration and composting. Stabilization.
- Recycling, waste management, environmental impact, life cycle analysis and certification.